February 22, 2010

Surprise!




Best. Weekend. Ever. It has been almost three years since I have been to my hometown. The weekend of February 5th presented an opportunity to surprise my family and get back to my peeps. So, several weeks ago, I called up my brother Taylor who lives in the Bay Area and asked if he would want to help pull a fast one on the family. Of course, I only told him because the rest of my family is completely worthless when it comes to keeping secrets (Tamara!).


It was perfect timing as well. My mom and dad were both born and raised in my hometown. My dad went to the old cross town rival and my mom was the first graduating class of my Alma mater (go Vikings!). It just so happened that my nephew Logan is the captain of the basketball team at my old high school and was going to play in the last crosstown rival game of the season. So- I thought what would be more perfect than surprising the family and joining them for the game!?

The surprise was that I took Kaiya with me (because I think my mom would have killed me if I didn't bring her!). IT WAS SO MUCH FUN. Kaiya was a rock star sleeping the entire flight and the entire 3 hour drive up to Chico. My brother made plans to have a late lunch with the family at my favorite deli (Spiteri's). I walked in first with the camcorder rolling and Taylor walked in behind me with Kaiya and well- the rest is history.


It was great seeing my family, watching Logan play (and win!) basketball and going to all the old haunts. Chico is a great city- college town with a great pedestrian downtown, hole-in-the-wall delis and pizza joints. But most of all- seeing my parents, brothers and sister. It was just a once in a lifetime chance to be there together that weekend and I will always remember it.

The great thing about this weekend too, was that it helped bring things back to reality. Life is busy and hectic and yes, it was a crazy fast weekend, but it was worth it. Despite all the craziness going on in life, if we don't stop to make the memories, we'll have nothing to remember except for the fact that we were too busy to do anything. Mahalos to the spouse for yet again stepping up to the plate and taking one for the team. She is amazing and I can't thank her enough for encouraging me to do this trip. THANK YOU BABE!










2 comments:

Nissa-Lynn said...

I loved watching the video and reading your post! How fun!!! What a wonderful memory! I'm so happy for you Trev!

Annalisa said...

Fun fun fun. What a great surprise.

Hugs to all.